The term commercial property refers to buildings or land intended to generate a profit, either from capital
gain or rental income. Commercial property includes office buildings, medical centers, hotels, malls, retail stores, farm
land, multifamily housing buildings, warehouses, and garages.
Commercial property is commonly divided into six categories:
- Office Buildings – This category includes single-tenant properties, small professional office buildings, downtown skyscrapers, and everything in between.
- Retail/Restaurant – This category includes pad sites on highway frontages, single tenant retail buildings, small neighborhood shopping centers, larger centers with grocery
store anchor tenants, "power centers" with large anchor stores such as Best Buy, PetSmart, OfficeMax, and so on even regional and outlet malls.
- Multifamily – This category includes apartment complexes or high-rise apartment buildings. Generally, anything larger than a fourplex is considered commercial real
- Land – This category includes investment properties on undeveloped, raw, rural land in the path of future development. Or, infill land with an urban area, pad sites, and
- Miscellaneous – This catch all category would include any other nonresidential properties such as hotel, hospitality, medical, and self-storage developments, as well as many